Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Level Up

A week or two ago I got to level 36 in the middle of a fire fight. It's always nice to feel that you're progressing but it's hardly the thrill it was in my early Vega days.

When you start, features of the game get unlocked at each level. I loved that and couldn't wait to see what was next when I got to level 4, 5 or 6. Obviously that can't continue, but player ships do require you to have a certain level so there is still a strong incentive. For example when I achieved level 35 I became eligible for Mizar class ships, once I reach that system.

With my slow but steady style, going up a level doesn't matter much to me. By the time I've reached a system and earned the crystals, I'm easily at the minimum level for a ship. I'm not suggesting the minimum levels be raised as I am not a typical player. It might be nice to have some other reward or incentive for level increase but that might straight jacket people into a style of play or rate of progression that didn't suit them.



Energy Charge
 
You do get 50 Gold for each level of course which is a very small amount. However that's the main revenue stream for the game so they can't just give it away too cheaply. Personally the only thing I've ever spent gold on is a Support Energy Charge, and then only when I've run out of E in the middle of a crucial mission and don't want to start again.

That is a good feature of the game and could be rationalised as a bribe to one of the hangar staff to send you extra energy in tricky situations. If they're sitting there waiting to beam your damaged ship aboard then surely they can 'reverse the polarity of the neutron flow' and send you a little power for a few bars of gold.


No comments:

Post a Comment